Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 27 July 2011

Easier to Attack the Weak

I am re-reading Kevin Phillips' book Wealth and Democracy, revisiting some important points on the rise of the ultra-rich and their collective impact on democracy.  The book is an excellent study on how wealth has been driven by corporations in America, and how that wealth has taken over the legislative process -- and subverting democracy. 

The book ends by warning that the final domination by monied interests in America is at hand, and that such an outcome will lead to a system that is worse than plutocracy (he only hints at fascism, so I'll make that final leap).

And just last week I read a report by the Conference Board of Canada indicates that here we are becoming a nation of greater inequality. Although it's the subject of a much longer post, it is more and more evident that Stephen Harper's government has our country moving in a similar direction.

And, as I continue to trawl my favorite online sites, I came upon an interview with Rob Johnson of the Roosevelt Institute.  Several of the issues discussed in this segment touched on the writing that I will soon post so, to whet your appetite, I would encourage you to watch the interview on RealNewsNetwork here.

What I found interesting, if not more than a little disturbing, was how Obama recently met with conservative politicians and pundits (at George Will's house, no less) and assured them that he intended to tackle the entitlement issue.  Johnson said that Obama is not really a Democrat (and, as I was taken in by the euphoria, I find myself in total agreement) -- he was only in the state senate for a few years, and he really hasn't lived the Democratic vision.  He talks a good game, as we've seen, but he really sees himself as the Triangulator-in-Chief.  He acts the great negotiator and, in the process, has given much too much away to the Republicans.

As Johnson says, Obama will take from those who are not represented, since he can't take from the rich and the connected.  Democracy at work.

By David.

-----------

Your musical accompaniment for the day:  Pack My Jack, by JJ Cale, from Shades.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment